Hi everyone, found this important piece of information on arslist and thought to share with you all, originally posted by Timothy Powell. It may be out dated because of new installers in 7.5, but will help for someone, somewhere.
The important thing everyone needs to do before even starting installations is to get the details of existing environment and check with the compatibility matrix from BMC Remedy for the version you want to install. If you want to make your life more easier, prepare the install worksheets and share with the team for inputs. (Check the BMC docs for worksheets sample.)
Once you believe everything is inorder for installations, prepare yourself and the team for staying up late (case of redbulls should do the magic) and cancel any plans for the weekend :)
Follow the steps drafted below to complete the installation of BMC AR System Remedy and ITSM.
Installation Order for ARS products and the ITSM Suite
Detailed Installation process for ARS 7.1 (Patch 1) with ITSM 7.0.2 (Patch 6) and CMDB 2.1 (Patch 1)
1. Humming Bird Search Engine. This is a part of the AR server download
2. AR Server 7.1 Patch 01, Remedy User, Remedy Admin, and JSDK (JDK minimum of version 220.127.116.11).
3. Add all application and user licenses via the Remedy User Tool.
4. Take a database (db) backup then install Mid Tier 7.1
5. Take a db backup then install Flashboards 7.1
6. Take a db backup then install Approval Server 7.1 Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
7. Take a db backup then install Assignment Engine 7.1 Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
8. Enable Development Cache mode from the Admin Tool and restart AR Server Service
9. Take a db backup then install E-mail Engine 7.1 Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
For Windows environments please disable the E-mail Engine service for the duration of the remaining installs to work around a known defect
10. Take a db backup then install CMDB 2.1 Patch 1 Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
11. Take a db backup then install CMDB Help Files
12. Install CMDB Extension Loader (Select Web server IIS)
DO NOT set Admin only mode as the ITSM Guide states. This is a known defect and will negatively affect the installation.
-navigate to the celsdk directory of the ITSM installation media (for ex: Installs\ITSM\7.0\Service Desk\Incident Mgmt\GAInstall\incident700.win\win\incident\cdrom\celsdk) and initiate the
cmdbExtLoader.exe. This executable will extend the Common Data Model (CMDB structure) with ITSM attributes and classes.
*perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success. These logs will be located under the local temp environment variable. An example of this is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp.
13. Take a db backup and Verify Dev Cache mode is still enabled
14. Incident Management 7.0.2. Install the First Commercial Shipment (FCS) of the product first. The upgrade to Patch 6 will occur later. If you are installing any other ITSM applications, do not select the DSL (Definitive Software Library) during this first ITSM installation. The install already has to install the Foundation Elements and the application. This option can be selected in the second ITSM install. Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
15. Incident Management Help Files.
16. Take a db backup and Verify Dev Cache mode is still enabled
17. Problem Management 7.0.2. On fresh installs, install the FCS version of the product first. Select the DSL checkbox to import the library data structure. This install can take up to 2 hours.
Go for movie or bowling not to a bar ;)
Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
18. Problem Management Help Files
19. Take a db backup then install Change Management 7.0.2. On fresh installs, install the FCS of the product first. This install can take 30 minutes or more. Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
You can get some coffee or take a smoke break here :)
20. Change Management Help Files
21. Take a db backup then install Asset Management 7.0.2. On fresh installs, install the FCS of the product first. Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
22. Asset Management Help Files
23. Take a db backup then do the Pre SLM installation steps: *Install Jboss or other servlet engine (If you installed mid tier, this is already done) – *install JDK (if not already installed previously) – *Set system environment variable BMC_SLM_JAVA_HOME with correct Java jre home path and restart AR Server.
24. Install SLM 7.1 Perform a review of the installation logs to verify 100% success
25. Install SLM Help Files
26. Install SLM Integrations
27. Verify Install SLM Integration via Remedy User Tool -> SLM Management Console-> Administration tab -> Custom Configuration -> and Select SLM -> Configure -> Application Settings -> Data Source. The data sources should be AST, CHG, HPD, and SRM. For Windows environments re-enable the e-mail engine service
28. Take a db backup then If not already done and you want to do the DSL, Install DSL Data via User by opening form PDL:ESIDImportConsole as New. Select options Version, Manufacturer, File Data, Application Data, App/File Xref, Suite Data, Suite/App Xref and Import.
29. Patch 6 for the ITSM products. A single install of patch 6 will update ALL installed ITSM products.
30. Configure applications per client needs.
31. Demand for a pay hike :)
Even though this list is compiled by BMC, its not necessary to follow it to the word. Feel free to try your own steps and learn some valuable lessons installing AR System remedy.
I always have db errors while installing and few times go crazy over compatibility of 3rd party tools. Look for the installation log at every step to verify the progress and to find errors or reasons for failure.
New installations for Remedy 7.5 needs less config during installations but need to tweak the db and server before starting installation. The good thing with Remedy 7.5 installer is it is an all-in-one installer which makes life a little bit easier.
Got some tips to share with others regarding installations… add comments..
Have a nice long weekend,